I’ve mentioned several times over the past two weeks that my garden is producing wonderfully, so much so that I have vegetables running out my ears – especially squash and zucchini! Last night I decided to experiment with a couple recipes to come up with some semi-healthy muffins.
Let me tell you, these are delicious!
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cocoa, optional
- 1¼ cup shredded zucchini
- ¼-½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs and 1½ cups sugar. Add pumpkin, butter and vanilla. Add dry ingredients a little at a time and mix well. Stir in zucchini.
3. Mix cinnamon and sugar together in small bowl.
4. Divide batter evenly into two 12 cup muffin tins. Top generously with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
5. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack.
Note: rotate muffin pans after 10 minutes to ensure even baking.