I came across this recipe a few years ago and it has become a favorite of my family. As a child, I did not like swiss steak – and I still don’t care for it very much 😉 – but this variation is absolutely delicious. I generally use either my electric skillet or crockpot for this recipe, instead of using the oven.
This is my menu for tonight …
Sour Cream Swiss Steak
• 1½ tsp each salt, pepper, paprika, and ground mustard
• 3 lbs boneless round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
• 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
• 3 Tbsp butter
• 1½ c water
• 1½ (12 oz) sour cream
• 1 c finely chopped onion
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/3 c soy sauce
• ¼ c packed brown sugar
• 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2. In large skillet, heat oil and butter. Cook steak on both sides until browned. Carefully add water; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. In a bowl, combine sour cream, onion, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar and flour; stir until smooth.
4. Transfer steak to a greased 2½ quart baking dish; add sour cream mixture.
5. Cover and bake at 325° for 1½ hours or until tender. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
What is on your menu for tonight?