This past Saturday was our churchs’ Harvest Festival and I am often asked to bring this delicious Caramel Corn. It doesn’t matter how much I take, there is usually very little left over as handful after handful is consumed. 🙂
If your idea of good caramel corn comes from a box of Cracker Jacks or Crunch ‘n Munch you are in for a real treat.
- 6 quarts popped corn (no salt or butter)
- 1 c. butter or margarine
- 2 c. brown sugar – packed
- ½ c. light corn syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Place popped corn in large roasting pan or foil pan; set aside.
2. Melt butter in 2 qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Stir until mixture starts to boil over entire surface. Boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla, then pour the caramel mixture over popped corn, stirring to coat.
4. Bake, uncovered, at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
5. Remove caramel corn from oven, and spread on a large piece of foil to cool. Break into clusters. Store in airtight container.