Tonights meal is not only a homecooked meal, but a homegrown meal as well … the beef, beets and green beans all came from right here! Gardening and canning is time-consuming and hard work, but it’s well worth the effort!
Beef & Dumplings
Harvard Beets -canned from last years garden!
Green Beans -fresh from the garden!
Harvard Beets Recipe
• 16 oz sliced canned beets
• 2 Tbsp. sugar
• 1 Tbsp. vinegar
• 2 tsp. cornstarch
• 1 Tbsp. butter
1. Drain beets; reserving 1/3 cup of liquid
2. In medium saucepan, combine 1/3 cup of reserved liquid, sugar, vinegar, and cornstarch.
3. Cook, stirring frequently, until thick and bubbly.
4. Stir in beets and butter; cook just until butter is melted and beets are hot.